Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Looping the Loop

The first time I looped a plane, I was a passenger in a Chipmunk. Every so often, pilots needing extra hours at Waddington would borrow a Chipmunk from Swinderby or somewhere and do their stuff. At the time, I was on the Station Flight and the said pilots would fly out from there, often offering a ride to one of us. This particular pilot allowed me to fly the plane all the way to an aerobatic zone. Most unusual. Usually they would only let you fly a little bit and, for me, the dreaded "I have control" used to come all too soon. Then, after a few rolls and such, I asked if he would do a loop, please Sir. He obligingly demonstrated the maneuver and then, to my amazement, asked me if I would like to have a go! Would I!!! And so, nose down - wait for 130kt - firm heave on the stick - count the horizons - 1st) increase back pressure - 2nd) begin to ease off on the throttle and 3rd) return to straight and level. Not bad - but I did have to be reminded about easing the throttle, just about when the windshield was filled with fields and my brain was filled with gung-ho.

After that unforgettable experience, I later did hundreds of loops, "avalanches" (google Ranald Porteous), etc, but all with RC model planes ;-)

Then I learned to fly (the plane pictured on the right) at Sturgate Airport, up there in sunny Lincolnshire. Since by then I knew everything, I figured it would easy enough to loop the poor old Condor. And damn near killed myself. Insufficient airspeed at the top resulted in some buffeting (a natural stall warning). Fortunately, I kept the stick firmly back - more due to being scared shitless than any innate piloting skill. Had I not, the result could have been an inverted spin from which I had no idea how to recover. Unlike a spam-can or other high-winged plane, the Condor does not recover from a spin if you panic and let go of the stick. In fact you're only allowed six turns when practising on the type, because it tightens up and goes faster - thereby requiring a lot more patience, skill and altitude for a successful recovery.

Ted

1 comment: